Hamleys of London Ltd
LEGO Company Ltd

Monday, 18 October 2010

Fossils and Mummies


Hands up those of you who thought museums were dusty, cold places full of musty dinosaur bones and moth eaten clothes from a bygone era. If your hand is up you are refreshingly wrong! I took Amos to the Plymouth museum (partly because it was cold outside and partly because I'd run out of other places to take him) and what a revelation, it is a fairly small museum but kitted out for people of all ages. Amos had a wonderful time. In the natural history room there were drawers at his height that he could pull out and view pinned butterflies, insects, plants and other items of interest. In another room there were African musical instruments that he could play on. One room was given over to looking at the history of Plymouth and there were endless maps with lights operated by buttons that Amos could press. It was a really good afternoon out. I discovered that there is also a group for under 5s that meets one morning a week, unfortunately it was oversubscribed so I couldn't get Amos in but I'm sure it's worth a try for the future.
The moral of this story is: don't underestimate your local museum, it's a lovely day out and for a stay at home mum or dad it's a place you can revisit as often as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment