Hamleys of London Ltd
LEGO Company Ltd

Monday, 12 April 2010

In the Swim!

Hands up those of you who regularly take your babies swimming? Well done you. I must admit I've been quite remiss in this area. Initially I took Amos every week - that was when he was very small and I could strap him on to a baby changing table whilst I got changed, as he got older the changing room experience became more complicated and we went more infrequently then not at all. Finally though, due to our brilliant, local Children's Centre facilitating a parent and child swim for 75p, we have graced the pool with our presence once more.
Amos absolutely loved it (which made me feel like a bad mother for not taking him more often). He loved it so much that even after our fifity minute session had ended he didn't want to come out. Eventually I managed to remove him from the water. As I was reaching up into my locker to get my bag, my usually shy, clinging boy made a break for the pool again! The lifeguard went into David Hasselhof Baywatch mode and managed to catch him before he launched himself back into the pool. After tearing him away again and successfully dressing him in a cubicle I was dressing myself when he flattened himself to the wet floor and wriggled out under the changing room door. He darted through the communal changing rooms towards the swimming pool again with me only half dressed unceremoniously in hot pursuit. Remind me again why we don't go swimming more often!
Despite the drama I will take Amos swimming more often as it is such an important skill for him to learn (especially as he loves water so much). It is worth looking at what your local leisure centre is offering for parents with babies, our local centre offers swimming guidance for parents two mornings a week and there are sessions during the day which are very cheap - ideal for stay at home mums and dads.

No comments:

Post a Comment